Welcome to the Grand Lakes Swim Team 2020 online registration!
As you step through the registration process you will:
Your registration is COMPLETE ONLY if your $100 volunteer deposit is submitted via this registration. Instructions will be given at the end of registration.
If you have any questions, you may email us by using the "contact us" button on the home page.
We look forward to an exciting swim season!
At least one parent/guardian registration is required.
New accounts will be sent an email confirmation message with instructions
to setup a password.
At least one parent/guardian email address must be provided.
Check the boxes to indicate which parent/guardians should receive team-wide emails.
Enter the information for each
being registered below.
At least one
registration is required.
Girls 6 & Under and Girls 9-10
IF ONE OF YOUR GROUPS IS FULL:
And you're registering multiple swimmers you will receive an error message. REMOVE the swimmer that does not have availability and continue the registration process for swimmers that have availability in their age group.
After you have completed registration for that swimmer, return to the home page and click on the wait-list link to add your swimmer that did not receive a spot.
District Of Columbia
Zip/Postal Code *
My Child Can Swim the Length of the Pool Unassisted: Freestyle (6 and Under) and Freestyle & Backstroke (7 and older)?
Did you swimmer swim on another summer swim team last year? If so, please identify the team.
Does your swimmer swim a club (i.e. Katy Aquatics, First Colony Swim Team) or high school team? If so, please identify the team.
Is Your Swimmer 13 or over and Interested in Applying for the Gator Aid Program? Type Yes or No in the box below. If Yes, please indicate swimmer name and t-shirt size.
Parents’ Handbook - 2020
Who is Grand Lakes Swim Team? Grand Lakes Swim Team (GLST) is a non-profit, volunteer led organization. We provide interested Grand Lakes youths the opportunity to participate in a quality competitive summer swimming program. Our goal is to provide personal growth, self-esteem, enjoyment and introduction to the lifelong health benefits of the sport of swimming. The sport will be taught in a fun environment while nurturing a competitive attitude and allowing each swimmer to progress at their own rate.
WHALe Swim League
The West Houston Aquatic League (WHALe) is a recreational summer league whose main purpose is to give children an opportunity to participate in organized swimming. The primary emphasis is on individual improvement and achievement. Sportsmanship is emphasized for all participants, children and adults.
WHALe was started in 1985 with 8 teams. By 2020 the league has grown to 35 teams with more than 4,000 swimmers making up 7 divisions, with 5 teams in each. The divisions are organized by the size of the swim teams -Division 1 comprising of the largest teams in the league and so on. GLST is in Division 1.
1. GLST is available to all swimmers that are residents of Grand Lakes ages 4 to 18 as of May 1st of the current year
2. A swimmer must be a novice swimmer as defined by WHALe
3. A swimmer cannot have swum on any college or university swim team
4. 6 & under swimmers must be able to legally swim freestyle across the pool
5. 7 & up swimmers must be able to legally swim freestyle and backstroke across the pool unassisted
Volunteer ResponsibilityOur meets cannot function without our wonderful volunteers. Everyone must do their job in order to have timely meets and the best season possible for our swimmers.
Please understand that each family is required to fulfill volunteer requirements. The details of those requirements are spelled out in the Volunteer Contract that you will sign at registration, along with your agreement to pay a penalty of $100 if your volunteer responsibilities are not fulfilled. This penalty will not be charged to your credit card if all your volunteer responsibilities have been fulfilled. Parents of swimmers that qualify for Meet of Champs and All Stars will have additional assignments for each event. Descriptions of the volunteer jobs are available on www.glswim.com
RegistrationRegistration will take place online via our team website: www.glswim.com and is allocated on a first come, first served basis until maximum numbers for each age group have been reached. We have no choice but to cap our numbers, we are already one of the largest teams in the league. Returning swimmers will have first priority starting: March 1st 2020 at 12pm. Returning swimmers will have 1 week to register before new swimmer registration starts: March 7th 2020 at 8pm and closes April 17th 2020 at noon, subject to availability.
The registration cost for a first registered family member is $140 and $125 per additional swimmer in each family. Registration includes team t-shirt. Team t-shirts will be handed out on photo day to ensure that everyone has it for the team photo.Please note: GLST policy is that there will be NO REFUNDS on registration fees, end of season party, swim wear or spirit wear.A parent orientation meeting will be held before the swim season starts. Date and location to be confirmed.
Swim Suits / Equipment / Team Photos
All swimmers are expected to swim in appropriate swim attire for practice. This means NO shorts, t-shirts, and two-pieces. Girls are required to wear swim caps. Boys are encouraged to wear swim caps.Team Suits
All swimmers are required to purchase a team suit which they must wear during all meets. DJ Sports will be at the pool on April 22nd 2020 to take orders. Last orders to get your swim suit on time will be May 1st 2020. Team suits will be available from DJ Sports (617 S. Mason Road).
Team swim caps will be available to purchase – Limited quantity available.
A team t-shirt will be provided to each swimmer as part of their membership. Additional t-shirts are available to purchase during registration or via the website ‘shop’ for swimmers, their fans and parent volunteers.
Team & individual photos will be taken and made available to purchase – Team photos will be May 15th 2020 at the swim team pool.
PracticeApril 20th – 24th 2020New Swimmer Practice will start 1 week prior to the start of the main practice season. New swimmers will have the opportunity to get to know their coaches in a smaller group setting. (see afternoon practice schedule for times)
April 27th – May 20th 2020 May 26th – June 18th 2020 7-8: 4.15pm – 5.00pm 11 & up: 7.30am – 8.45am11 and Up: 5.00pm – 6.00pm 6 & under A: 8.45am – 9.15am6 & under A: 6.00pm – 6.30pm 6 & under B: 9.15am – 9.45am6 & under B: 6.30pm – 7.00pm 7-8: 9.45am – 10.30am9-10: 7.00pm – 7.45pm 9-10: 10.30am – 11.30am
All practice times subject to change – we will inform you of any schedule changes. Your child is encouraged to practice each day that it is offered in order to make the most improvement in his/her ability during the season. It is not necessary to notify coaches if a practice will be missed.
1. Parents are expected to supervise siblings and friends that they bring to practice
2. ONLY practicing swimmers are allowed in the water during practice
3. Should you desire to leave your child at practice, please ensure that your contact information is current and up-to-date in case of an emergency
4. NO ONE is to enter or put any portion of their body, including hands and feet, into the wading pool during a practice or meet
5. NO ONE is allowed to climb on or play on any of the pool equipment
6. Parents must remain in the seating area and are not allowed on the pool deck during practice. If you need to discuss an issue with one of the coaches, please arrange a time to meet with them outside of practice
7. We expect cooperative behavior at practice. Any swimmer whose behavior is disruptive, unsportsmanlike and/or dangerous will be asked to sit out of practice for the rest of the day or be sent home. At the coach’s discretion, the swimmer may be suspended for several days, or ultimately expelled from the team with no refund. Parents will be contacted if there is a frequent problem.
Weather / CancellationsWeather changes happen unexpectedly so come to practice no matter the weather – we may still be able to swim. If we know in advance that a practice will be cancelled, we will announce this via our website, Facebook page, Remind and email.Swim MeetsRegular Season: We will hold a practice meet called the Blue/Green meet on Friday, May 22nd 2020. Swimmers and parents alike will be able to practice their roles as team members and parent volunteers. GLST will endeavor to train as many new parents as we can during the Blue/Green meet in their chosen volunteer roles. Swimmers will record their swim times for each stroke in preparation for our first division dual meet. Not all swimmers will swim all events at each meet due to limited entries. It is the coaching staff’s decision as to which events each swimmer is entered.
Division Dual Meets
Our dual meets are scheduled by WHALe. We will have 4 Dual meets in the 2020 season. Dates and locations to be confirmed.
Dual Meets can be a week day evening or Saturday mornings.Swimmers are seeded fastest to slowest by their recorded times, and ribbons are awarded (1st-8th place) for each heat, ensuring every swimmer receives recognition for every race they swim. Scoring however, takes into account the overall top 8 positions (in individual events) and the top 2 positions (in relays).Meet of Champs (MOC): June 23rd – LCISD Natatorium, RosenburgAfter all teams have completed meets with each other during the regular season, qualified swimmers will advance to their division’s Meet of Champs. To be eligible to compete in your division’s MOC, a swimmer must have competed in a minimum of 2 division dual meets.Swimmers are seeded fastest to slowest by their recorded times and medals are awarded (1st-8th place) for the overall top 8 positions (in individual events) and the top 2 positions (in relays)Each team is allowed to enter:
FreestyleBack Strokebreast stroke
(Totaling 24 swimmers per event or 3 heats of 8)
(Totaling 16 swimmers per event or 2 heats of 8)
Swimmers are seeded fastest to slowest by their recorded times and medals are awarded (1st-8th place) for the overall top 8 positions in each event. There are no relay events at the ASM.
1. IF YOU KNOW that your child will not be participating ahead of time, please let the coaches know as soon as possible. Should your child fall ill immediately before a meet, notify a coach as soon as possible
2. Each swimmer is expected to check-in with their team parent at least 15 minutes before the scheduled warm up time
3. Swimmers are required to stay in their team tent until the completion of their events and check-out with their team parent before leaving – Your relay team is counting on you!
4. We expect our parents to model good sportsmanship for their swimmers – Cheer for our teammates and be respectful of our opponents.
5. Swimmers are not to be left without a parent at a meet
Meet Preparation Suggestions:- Team suit – team t-shirt – healthy snack and water bottle – at least one towel – sun screen & bug spray – folding chair – extra goggles – swim cap – money for concessions – something to keep themselves quietly entertained in their tent while waiting for their next event.
Parents Should Pack:
Money for concessions (dollar bills) – print out your heat sheet – pen or highlighter to mark events on heat sheet – folding chair – patience, meets can last 4-5 hours - a positive attitude!
End of Season Awards and Party – Your swimmer will be recognized and his/her accomplishments will be celebrated at the End of Season Party and Awards Ceremony. The party will be held at the Lazy River pool in Grand Lakes on June 25th 2020.
Parent/Swimmer Code of Conduct
Our GLST swim families and swimmers are representatives of GLST and are, therefore, expected to uphold the value of good sportsmanship at all times. Please address issues with coaches and board members in a direct, thoughtful and professional manner, either after practices and/or meets or directly through email. Please keep interaction with other parents, other swimmers and your own swimmer courteous and positive. Model good sportsmanship for your swimmer. Have fun!
By registering your swimmer and signing below you are agreeing to abide by this Code of Conduct, the rules and regulations set forth in this handbook and to share it with guests you choose to bring to GLST events. Failure to abide by the GLST Code of Conduct can result in disciplinary action.
I, the undersigned, parent or legal guardian of the registered minors/Grand Lakes swimmers, certify that my child(ren) enjoy good health and have no physical condition which would be aggravated by his/her/their participation on the Grand Lakes Swim Team ("GLST"). I hereby agree that the minors/Grand Lakes swimmers may participate in all activities of GLST, including but not limited to: practices, swim meets, and social functions. I, the undersigned, waive ANY AND ALL rights to claims for property damage injuries to, or death of any person arising out of the participation on GLST or the West Houston Aquatic League (WHALE) functions. I, the undersigned, also agree that a representative of GLST may authorize medical attention for the minors/Grand Lakes swimmers in an emergency situation.
I ALSO AUTHORIZE GLST USE OF MY CHILD'S SWIM RELATED PHOTO(S) IN LOCAL NEWS PRINT, GRAND LAKES GATORS FACEBOOK PAGE, AND/OR THE GRAND LAKES SWIM TEAM WEBSITE.
GRAND LAKES SWIM TEAM
Grand Lakes Swim Team cannot exist without parent volunteers. Please know that when you sign your child up to swim, you are also signing yourself up to participate in your child’s swim season. Our meets are run completely through the efforts of our parent volunteers. It is crucial that everyone fully participates in order to have functional meets and a great swim season for our kids!
Each family is required to perform 3 volunteer jobs at three of our five swim meets. Only one job can be done per swim meet.
Due to rampant absenteeism among our parent volunteers it has become a necessity for our team to collect a $100 volunteer deposit per family. You will not be charged the $100 unless you fail to meet your family’s volunteer requirement. In the event you do not fulfill your family’s volunteer requirement your $100 will be deposited.
COMPLETING VOLUNTEER ASSIGNMENTS
In the event a volunteer is unable to complete their assigned duty, an appropriate adult volunteer must be found to replace you before the meet AND the volunteer coordinator must be notified prior to the meet, by email, of the change. Failure to do so will result in your family not receiving credit for the fulfilling their volunteer assignment.
Should a meet get cancelled, rescheduled or postponed, parent volunteers are still responsible for fulfilling their assignment at the rescheduled meet. Failure to do so will result in not receiving credit for your volunteer duty.
Failure to complete your volunteer assignment will result in forfeiture of your volunteer deposit, and Grand Lakes Swim Team will cash your check.
I agree to fulfill the terms of my volunteer assignments. I fully understand that failing to do so will result in the cashing of my $100.00.If I fail to volunteer for subsequent (2nd, 3rd, 4th) volunteer assignment my child will not be permitted to swim in the next meet.
* Please note that volunteer jobs are subject to change according to team need on your requested date, and you will be notified in advance of any changes by the volunteer coordinator.
RELEASE OF LIABILITY FOR PARTICIPANTS/SWIMMERS
IN CONSIDERATION OF my child(ren)/ward(s) being allowed to participate in any way in West Houston Aquatic League, Inc. (“WHALe”) events and activities, the undersigned hereby represents, acknowledges, appreciates, understands, consents, and agrees that:
1. All of the information that I or my spouse have provided to WHALe or its member teams is true and correct to the best of my knowledge and, in the event that I, my spouse, or any of my child(ren)/ward(s) obtains knowledge that any such information is untrue or incorrect, I will immediately provide true and correct information to the executive board or similar governing entity for my member team; and,
2. The risk of injury to my child(ren)/ward(s) from participation in WHALe events and activities is significant, including the potential for permanent disability and death, and while particular rules, equipment, and personal discipline may reduce this risk, the risk for serious injury does exist; and,
3. I for myself, my spouse, and my child(ren)/ward(s), knowingly and freely ASSUME ALL SUCH RISKS, both known and unknown, EVEN IF ARISING FROM THE NEGLIGENCE of WHALe or its member teams or its and their directors, officers, officials, agents, employees, volunteers, other participants, sponsoring agencies, sponsors, advertisers, and, if applicable, the owners and/or lessors of the premises used to conduct the event (collectively, the “Releasees”), and ASSUME FULL RESPONSIBILITY for the participation of my child(ren)/ward(s) in WHALe events and activities; and,
4. I willingly agree to comply with the WHALe’s stated and customary terms and conditions for participation. If I observe any unusual significant concern in my child(ren)/ward(s) readiness for participation and/or in any WHALe event or activity itself, I will remove my child(ren)/ward(s) from the participation and bring such attention of the nearest official immediately; and,
5. I for myself, my spouse, my child(ren)/ward(s), and on behalf of my/our heirs, assignees, personal representatives and next of kin, hereby RELEASE AND HOLD HARMLESS the Releasees, WITH RESPECT TO ANY AND ALL INJURY, DISABILITY, DEATH, OR LOSS OR DAMAGE TO PERSON OR PROPERTY incident to my child(ren)/ward(s) involvement or participation in WHALe events and activities, EVEN IF ARISINGFROM THE NEGLIGENCE of the Releasees or otherwise, to the fullest extent permitted by law; and
6. I, for myself, my spouse, my child(ren)/ward(s), and on behalf of my/our heirs, assignees, personal representatives and next of kin, hereby INDEMNIFY the Releasees from any and all liabilities incident to my child(ren)/ward(s) involvement or participation in WHALe events and activities, EVEN IF ARISING FROM THE NEGLIGENCE of the Releasees or otherwise, to the fullest extent permitted by law; and,
7. In the event that any knowingly incorrect information provided by me or my spouse to WHALe or any of its member teams results in any additional liability, exposure, loss, or damage for any or all of the Releasees, I, for myself, my spouse, my child(ren)/ward(s), and on behalf of my/our heirs, assignees, personal representatives and next of kin, HEREBY ASSUME RESPONSIBILITY FOR, AND INDEMNIFY AND HOLD HARMLESS the Releasees for, all such liability, exposure, losses and damages.
I HAVE READ THIS RELEASE OF LIABILITY, FULLY UNDERSTAND ALL TERMS, UNDERSTAND THAT I HAVE GIVEN UP SUBSTANTIAL RIGHTS BY SIGNING, AND SIGN THIS RELEASE OF LIABILITY FOR PARTICIPANTS/SWIMMERS FREELY AND VOLUNTARILY WITHOUT INDUCEMENT.